[nexa] COVID-19 tracking data and surveillance risks are more dangerous than their rewards

Giovanni Biscuolo g at xelera.eu
Tue Mar 24 08:10:35 CET 2020

"J.C. DE MARTIN" <demartin at polito.it> writes:

> https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/covid-19-tracking-data-surveillance-risks-are-more-dangerous-their-ncna1164281

Capolavoro, grazie!

Mi permetto di riportare qui le conclusioni, che sono il succo del loro
ragionamento, per chi non avesse tempo di leggere tutto l'articolo:

In the weeks ahead, we must be vigilant. Whether it was the internment
of Japanese Americans during World War II, the profiling of Muslim
Americans following the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, or the mass
incarceration for petty and nonviolent crimes when crime rates spiked in
the ’80s and ’90s, our rights are most at risk when we feel scared. And
the changes we accept in times of crisis can last far longer than the
immediate crisis.

In the weeks following 9/11, Congress hastily expanded surveillance
powers through the USA PATRIOT Act. Many of those emergency provisions
were originally supposed to expire more than a decade ago. This week,
Congress voted to renew them yet again. Taking evidence-based steps to
protect public health will save lives in the coming days, but any damage
we do to our Constitution may not heal for decades.

Saluti, Giovanni

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures