[nexa] Paper B. Frischmann: "Two Enduring Lessons from Elinor Ostrom"

J.C. DE MARTIN demartin at polito.it
Tue Jun 25 11:44:16 CEST 2013

Con piacere segnalo questo recentissimo paper
di Brett Frischmann, garante del centro Nexa.

juan carlos

  Two Enduring Lessons from Elinor Ostrom

    Brett M. Frischmann

<http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=232991>
Yeshiva University - Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law

March 10, 2013

/Journal of Institutional Economics, 2013, Forthcoming/
/Cardozo Legal Studies Research Paper No. 387
<https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2252133##>/

*Abstract: *
This article is a tribute to Elinor Ostrom. It explores two enduring
lessons she taught: a substantive lesson that involves embracing
complexity and context, and a methodological lesson that involves
embracing a framework-driven approach to systematic, evolutionary
learning through various interdisciplinary methodologies, theories, and
empirical approaches.

First, I discuss Ostrom's work on environmental commons. I illustrate
the two lessons through a discussion of the tragedy of the commons.
Next, I explain how the two lessons play a significant role in recent
efforts to extend Ostrom's work on environmental commons to
knowledge/cultural commons. I draw a parallel between the tragedy of the
commons allegory and the free rider allegory, and show how many of the
problems Ostrom explored in the environmental context are manifest in
the cultural environmental context. I discuss an ongoing research
project that follows the path that Ostrom blazed and systematically
studies commons in the cultural environment.

*Number of Pages in PDF File:* 21

*Keywords:* Ostrom, commons, externalities, institutional economics,
institutions, IAD

Accepted Paper Series

Download This Paper
<https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/Delivery.cfm/SSRN_ID2252133_code232991.pdf?abstractid=2252133&mirid=1>