[nexa] Ex direttore NYT: "Where Did Our ‘Inalienable Rights’ Go?"

J.C. DE MARTIN demartin at polito.it
Mon Jun 24 11:51:13 CEST 2013

L'ex direttore del New York Times, Max Frankel,
ricorda ai più giovani, un po' smemorati,
i disastri prodotti dalla segretezza governativa,
da  Edgar J. Hoover al Vietnam e a Watergate.

juan carlos

*Where Did Our ‘Inalienable Rights’ Go?*

            By MAX FRANKEL

/Max Frankel was The New York Times’s editorial page editor from 1977 to
1986 and executive editor from 1986 to 1994./

NOW that we sense the magnitude of our government’s effort to track
Americans’ telephone and Internet transactions, the issue finally and
fully before us is not how we balance personal privacy with police
efficiency.

We have long since surrendered a record of our curiosities and fantasies
to Google. We have broadcast our tastes and addictions for the
convenience of one-button Amazon shopping. We have published our health
and financial histories in exchange for better and faster hospital and
bank services. We have bellowed our angers and frustrations for all to
overhear while we walk the streets or ride a bus. Privacy is a currency
that we all now routinely spend to purchase convenience.

But Google and Amazon do not indict, prosecute and jail the people they
track and bug. The issue raised by the National Security Agency’s data
vacuuming is how to protect our civil liberty against the anxious
pursuit of civic security. Our rights must not be so casually bartered
as our Facebook chatter. Remember “inalienable”?

[...]

Continua qui:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/opinion/sunday/where-did-our-inalienable-rights-go.html