[nexa] Slate: "How to Block the NSA From Your Friends List"

J.C. DE MARTIN demartin at polito.it
Fri Jun 21 09:23:26 CEST 2013

Verso il fondo si citano social media decentralizzati come
MediaGoblin, Identi.ca, Diaspora, ecc.

juan carlos
*

How to Block the NSA From Your Friends List**
*
By April Glaser and Libby Reinish | Posted Monday, June 17, 2013, at
11:12 AM

After recent revelations of NSA spying, it's difficult to trust large
Internet corporations like Facebook to host our online social networks.
Facebook is one of nine companies tied to PRISM----perhaps the
largestgovernment surveillance effort
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data>in
world history. Even before this story broke, many social media addicts
hadlost trust in the company
<http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/06/11/washington_post_pew_poll_on_prism_spying_americans_trust_nsa_more_than_facebook.html>.
Maybe now they'll finally start thinking seriously about leaving the
social network giant.

Luckily, there are other options, ones that are less vulnerable to
government spying and offer users more control over their personal data.
But will mass migration from Facebook actually happen?

According to aPew study
<http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2013/Teens-Social-Media-And-Privacy/Summary-of-Findings.aspx>released
weeks before news of PRISM broke, teenagers are disenchanted with
Facebook. They're moving to other platforms, like Snapchat and (Facebook
owned) Instagram, the study reports. This is the way a social network
dies---people sign up for multiple platforms before gradually realizing
that one has become vacant or uninteresting. Myspace, for instance, took
years todrop off the map
<http://techcrunch.com/2009/01/22/facebook-now-nearly-twice-the-size-of-myspace-worldwide/>.
By 2006 Myspace reached 100 million users, making it the most popular
social network in the United States. But by 2008, Facebook had reached
twice that number, less than two years after allowing anyone older than
13 to join the network.

Benjamin Mako Hill, a fellow at the Berkman Center for Internet and
Society, thinks Facebook's ability to connect people and bind them to
the social network is overrated to begin with. "Facebook didn't exist,
what, 10 years ago," he says, and in 10 years, he thinks, "a company
called Facebook will exist, but will it occupy the same space in our
culture? That's certainly not something I'm willing to take for granted."

[...]

Continua qui:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/06/17/identi_ca_diaspora_and_friendica_are_more_secure_alternatives_to_facebook.html