[nexa] Atlantic: "Why Governments Use Broadcast TV and Dissidents Use Twitter"

J.C. DE MARTIN demartin at polito.it
Wed Jun 19 18:32:55 CEST 2013

Ogni riferimento a paesi diversi dalla Turchia
è puramente casuale.

juan carlos

  Why Governments Use Broadcast TV and Dissidents Use Twitter

/How regimes take control of official media channels and push activists
onto the Internet. /
//
//
Philip N. Howard <http://www.theatlantic.com/philip-n-howard/>
Jun 14 2013, 2:07 PM ET

Last March I was walking past Gezi Park with a Turkish friend at dusk.
He had just joined me from prayers and I asked him what he thought about
the brewing debate over the park's future. Like most Turkish voters, he
is a fan of the country's prime minister, Erdogan. Like most of the
country's voters, my friend easily integrates his faith with his daily
routines. But he said simply "Istanbul doesn't need another Mosque." He
started pointing off in different directions. "There's one there, there
and there. And there and there and there. Istanbul needs a park."

There's a common misconception that Turkey's current crisis is about a
resurgence in political Islam
<http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/06/muslim-light-whats-behind-turkeys-islamization-and-the-protests-against-it/276576/>.
Some commentators fear that Turkey's leadership trying assert to
Islamize a country that has been proudly secular for a long time. Some
argue that the #occupygezi crisis is about Islam and the survival of the
republic. But the crisis isn't about an elected leader trying to inject
religion into public policy by building a mosque over the park where
people go for political rallies and romantic strolls.

[...]

Continua qui:
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/06/why-governments-use-broadcast-tv-and-dissidents-use-twitter/276896/