[nexa] CNN (Schneier): "Has U.S. started an Internet war?"

J.C. DE MARTIN demartin at polito.it
Tue Jun 18 20:06:57 CEST 2013

  Has U.S. started an Internet war?

By *Bruce Schneier*, Special to CNN
June 18, 2013 -- Updated 1446 GMT (2246 HKT)

/*ditor's note:* Bruce Schneier <http://www.schneier.com/> is a security
technologist and author of "Liars and Outliers: Enabling the Trust
Society Needs to Survive." <http://www.schneier.com/book-lo.html> /

*(CNN)* -- Today, the United States is conducting offensive cyberwar
actions around the world.

More than passively eavesdropping, we're penetrating and damaging
foreign networks for both espionage and to ready them for attack. We're
creating custom-designed Internet weapons, pre-targeted and ready to be
"fired" against some piece of another country's electronic
infrastructure on a moment's notice.

This is much worse than what we're accusing China of doing to us. We're
pursuing policies that are both expensive and destabilizing and aren't
making the Internet any safer. We're reacting from fear, and causing
other countries to counter-react from fear. We're ignoring resilience in
favor of offense.

Welcome to the cyberwar <https://www.schneier.com/essay-421.html> arms
race <https://www.schneier.com/essay-411.html>, an arms race that will
define the Internet in the 21st century.

Presidential Policy Directive 20
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/interactive/2013/jun/07/obama-cyber-directive-full-text>,
issued last October
<http://epic.org/privacy/cybersecurity/Pres-Policy-Dir-20-FactSheet.pdf>
and released by Edward Snowden, outlines
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/07/obama-china-targets-cyber-overseas>
U.S. cyberwar policy. Most of it isn't very interesting, but there are
two paragraphs about "Offensive Cyber Effect Operations," or OCEO, that
are intriguing:

[...]

Continua qui:
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/18/opinion/schneier-cyberwar-policy/index.html