[nexa] Berkman Center Webcast live oggi ore 18.30 - Present Shock: When Everything Happens Now

Giuseppe Futia giuseppe.futia at polito.it
Tue Jun 18 09:22:50 CEST 2013

    Present Shock: When Everything Happens Now

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/events/luncheon/2013/06/rushkoff
*
Douglas Rushkoff, author of Present Shock, in conversation with David
Weinberger*

Today, 6.30 pm

Webcast live: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/interactive/webcast

http://nexa.polito.it/berkman-webcast-live

    The always-on, simultaneous society in which we have found ourselves
    has altered our relationship to culture, media, news, politics,
    economics, and power. We are living in a digital temporal landscape,
    but instead of exploiting its asynchronous biases, we are
    misguidedly attempting to extend the time-is-money agenda of the
    Industrial Age into the current era. The result is a disorienting
    and dehumanizing mess, where the zombie apocalypse is more
    comforting to imagine than more of the same. It needn't be this way.

          About Douglas

    Winner of the Media Ecology Association's first Neil Postman award
    for Career Achievement in Public Intellectual Activity, Douglas
    Rushkoff is an author, teacher, and documentarian who focuses on the
    ways people, cultures, and institutions create, share, and influence
    each other's values. He is technology and media commentator for CNN,
    digital literacy advocate for Codecademy.com
    <http://codecademy.com/> and has taught and lectured around the
    world about media, technology, culture and economics.

    His new book, Present Shock: When Everything Happens Now
    <http://rushkoff.com/present-shock>, explores the always-on,
    simultaneous society in which we live, as well has how this new
    temporal landscape influences media, culture, economics, politics,
    and meaning. His previous best-selling books on media and popular
    culture have been translated to over thirty languages. They include
    Program or Be Programmed: Ten Commands for a Digital Age
    <http://www.rushkoff.com/program-or-be-programmed/>, a followup to
    his Frontline documentary, Digital Nation
    <http://pbsdigitalnation.org/>, and Life Inc
    <http://www.rushkoff.com/life-inc/>, an analysis of the corporate
    spectacle, which was also made into a short, award-winning film
    <http://vimeo.com/4655092>.

          Links

      * http://rushkoff.com/present-shock
      * http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/14/books/present-shock-by-douglas-rushkoff.html?_r=0